Named after Major Francis Boykin, a smart businessman who donated the land for the Isle of Wight Courthouse of 1800 (still standing and in use today), the tavern was conveniently located right next door for meals & refreshments for court officers & personnel.
Situated on the bluffs of the James River, the fort was begun in 1623 to protect the colonists from the Indians and Spaniards. The fort is built in the shape of a seven pointed star and remains essentially intact and constitutes a well-preserved example of military architecture of the Civil War era.
St. Luke's (circa 1632), is the oldest existing church of English foundation in America and the country's only surviving original brick Gothic churchs.
Make your first stop the Visitor Center for a historic walking tour map, a “Passport to Savings” card for discounts at local merchants and information on area attractions, dining options and special events.
Interpreting local history, the museum's exhibits include prehistoric fossils, Native American and Colonial artifacts, a country store and the museum’s most notable artifact – the world’s oldest edible cured ham. The 1902 pork product exemplifies the patented Smithfield curing process.
Originally modeled after the Capitol Building in Colonial Williamsburg, this restored building is owned and operated by the "APVA Preservation Virginia."